Jon Choate

Default Storing homemade BBQ sauce, how long in fridge?

> The vinegar in it will preserve it for some time (high acid). If you're
> worried about it you can bring it to a boil for 2 minutes before using
> it.

Also, the mustard will add to the preservation qualities. It all
really depends on the amount of vinegar and mustard used. I have had
some with that basic recipe, along with a few other ingredients,
including molasses, last longer than 6 months with a high vinegar
content. I have also had them with a low vinegar content sealed and on
the bottom shelf become a science experiment in 5 days. The best guide
you have is your nose... if it don't smell right, chances are it
aint...

Keep this in mind as a reference...Tabasco, which contains salt,
vinegar, and red peppers, is listed by the McIlhenny company to have a
shelf life of 5 years.