Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default WTN: Wines, mostly at Cape May- Burg, Bdx, Bojo, Loire, Sicily

A friend was renting a cute house in Cape May Point, we made a dash
down for 2 nights. Lots of BYO options, I had thrown some random
bottles in a shipper. The first night we went to the Black Duck. Nice
restaurant in an old house not too far from us. I started with some
blue crab spring rolls,Betsy has a special "trio of vegetable
appetizers" (baby artichokes, panko crusted squash blosssoms, heirloom
tomatoes), Dolores a salad with Stilton. For mains Betsy had salmon, I
had skate, Dolores duck. As Dolores is mostly red person, we had a
bottle of both red and white:

2008 JP Brun/Terres Dorees Beaujolais Blanc
My first taste of this vintage, but as usual I find this a fine value.
Clean green apple and Bosc pear fruit, no oak, good acidity, mineral
on finish. I need to taste this and the 07 Drouhin St Veran head to
head in a best Chardonnay value for under $15 contest. B+

2000 Ch. de Chambrun (Lalande de Pomerol)
Very modern, some tannins but pretty open, fleshy black plum and
cassis, vanillin oak, big mouthfeel, sweet, heavy. I liked but didn't
love, but more appropriate food might have been in order (I mainly
liked as a port substitute! ) B

Next night it was just Betsy & I, we tried out 410 Bank. I started
with a spicy crayfish bisque, while she had lobster bisque. I then had
mesquite grilled chicken, while she had lamb chops. Again, 2 wines:

1985 La Navire Vouvray Demi-Sec
OK, I've never been so conflicted as to whether something was mildly
corked. A hint of cardboard/must, no it's not there, wait, there it is
again, well I can't find it now (well chilled it seemed invisible).
This isn't Huet, but lurking underneath the possibility of TCA was an
amazingly youthful if not profound wine- maybe it was a teeny bit
corked,but not oxidized at all. Fresh apple cider and flint. The
colder glasses with no TCA get a B.

1993 Bouchard "Clos de la Mousse" Beaune 1er
OK, so not exactly an inspired match with the New Orleans meets
Southwest cuisine. Good acidity (no surprise there with vintage!),
cranberry and raspberry fruit, some earth/mushrooms, resolved tannins,
pleasant enough Burg if not a star. B

Wednesday we drove back, I dropped Betsy and stuff at home, when to
office for a short while. She ordered a pizza for me to pick up
(sausage and broccoli rabe), we had the 2005 Feudo Montoni Nero
d'Avola. Solid dark fruit, leather, some mocha though this doesn't
strike me as modern. I've liked this wine in earlier vintages, this is
quite nice. B+

So some QPR stars (the Brun and Montoni) as well as some interesting
if not great wines. I like Cape May and it was good to get away for
couple days

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*