Posted to rec.food.cooking
maxine maxine is offline

Default Black mold on onion.

On Jun 1, 8:55*pm, Hipupchuck > wrote:
> Chemo the Clown wrote:

> > As a rule of thumb, the temperature where you would be storing your
> > onions should be in the range of 32 up to 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Any
> > warmer would cause spoilage, and any increase in humidity would just
> > encourage the growth of Aspergillus black mold.

> This stuff appeared on half an onion that I had in a sandwich bag in the
> fridge after only a couple days. I believe it's about 42 degrees in there..

For safety's sake, and to keep your cold foods longer, fridge temp
should be in the upper 30'sF.

I've been removing the layers with mold on them, and rinsing
everything well afterwards, with no ill effects after cooking. If you
have someone in your household or guests with less than robust immune
systems, you might be better off tossing the whole bulb.

maxine in ri