Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mack A. Damia Mack A. Damia is offline

Default Canadian treats that I loved and grew up on . . .

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 07:39:21 -0700 (PDT), John Kane
> wrote:

>On Jun 4, 12:53*am, Lynn from Fargo > wrote:
>> North Dakota is "muy circa de Canada". *Minot, where I was born, is
>> about 100 miles from the Canadian border. *Now you have to have a
>> passport to cross the border. *Not the border INTO Canada, but the
>> border to get back into the United States.
>>
>> We used to go to Lake Metigoshe and cross into Canada on the lake. *We
>> could buy candy and sweets at a teeny little store. *Best was
>> MacIntosh Toffee. It came in a flat red cardboard box and it was a
>> slab of real toffee - not breakable (unless it was cold) you had to
>> bite it off. *It was really hard on your teeth - removed fillings.
>> Eating it took patience. *We also bought Humbugs. *They were a hard
>> brown peppermint dusted with castor sugar. *I think they may have had
>> horehound in them. *They were wonderful on a sore throat.
>>
>> When my dad would go fishing in Canada or cross the border for work
>> (he was a Law Enforcement Officer) he would bring bak great big cans
>> of Empress jams and preserves. *Raspberry was my favorite, but
>> Strawberry was his. Once we got blueberry, but mostly it was
>> strawberry preserves with whole strawberries in the jam. He made bread
>> almost every weekend that he was home. *Always white bread, his
>> mother's recipe. Still warm and sliced an inch thick with real butter
>> it was heaven with that jam!
>>
>> After I was married and could go to Winnipeg, we would bring back a
>> dozen or so fat round unsliced loaves of "City Rye Bread" - some with
>> caraway, some without. *It was dark brown, slightly sweet and chewy
>> with a wonderful shiny crust. I think it was something about the
>> water. *They used to sell it at the airport.
>>
>> Canadian cheddar cheese - extra extra sharp in big wedges. *And Keen's
>> dry English Mustard and huge sweet *Australian raisins . . .
>>
>> Canada - Our Good Neighbor to the North. *Responsible for my diabetes,
>> cholesterol level and dental problems. *Gotta love 'em!
>> Lynn in Fargo

>Amazing, I hadn't realised that one couldn't get MacIntosh Toffee or
>humbugs in the States. Did you ever try the 'black balls" (3 for a
>penny when I was a kid) that variety stores used to sell. Black outer
>coating with a hard white interior.

(snip)

Gobstoppers?

I have a weakness for Rowntrees Fruit Pastilles, but I can only get
them by mail-order or in some specialty import shops.

Businesses won't ship in the summer months, either, because of heat
damage. All my supplier had last January were the tubes of all black
currant -which I happen to love, so I got twenty tubes.

Other favorites: Black Magic chocolates.....

"Violet Crumble"!! (Time for a new thread?)

;-)
--
mad