Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] comments@foodforu.ca is offline

Default Canadian treats that I loved and grew up on . . .

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 10:24:36 -0700 (PDT), John Kane
> wrote:

>On Jun 4, 12:54*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> One of our sweet treats that I am surprised never seems to have caught
>> on in the US is butter tarts. *And then there is Nanaimo bars. Like
>> butter tarts,one is not enough and two is one too many.

>I remember looking for a butter tart recipe in the Joy of Cooking and
>being rather surprised that there wasn't one.
>
>John Kane Kingston ON Canada

Hey John, you're in Ontario so I'm sure you've had this. My mother in
law who is French puts oatmeal in hers. Calls it Greo' Pie (sp?),
basically oatmeal pie.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Butter Tart Pie

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Canadian Pie/tart

3 Eggs
3/4 c Brown sugar -- packed
3/4 c Corn syrup
3 tb Butter -- melted
4 ts Flour -- all purpose
1 1/2 ts Vanilla
1/4 ts -salt
2 1/4 c Currants or raisins
1 Pie shell, 9", unbaked

In bowl, beat eggs lightly. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup, butter,
flour, vanilla and salt until blended. Stir in currants or raisins.
Pour in pie shell. Bake in 400F for 5 minutes. Remove heat to 250F.
Bake for about 30 minutes longer or till centre is just firm to the
touch, covering edges of pastry with foil if browning too much. Let
cool completely before cutting. MAKES:10 Serving

This version of butter tarts (a Canadian speciality) is easier to
prepare than the traditional individual tarts. It is very rich and
best served in small pieces.

Source: Canadian Living Magazine

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 3821 Calories; 291g Fat (66.6%
calories from fat); 23g Protein; 305g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 1381mg Cholesterol; 3360mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2
Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 56 1/2 Fat; 19 1/2 Other
Carbohydrates.