Posted to rec.food.cooking
hahabogus[_3_] hahabogus[_3_] is offline

Default Canadian treats that I loved and grew up on . . .

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig > wrote in news:39bdec4c-ea6d-4bd6-adbf-
on Jun Thu 2009 am

> On Jun 4, 9:39*am, John Kane > wrote:
>> On Jun 4, 12:53*am, Lynn from Fargo > wrote:
>>

>> > North Dakota is "muy circa de Canada". *Minot, where I was born, is
>> > about 100 miles from the Canadian border. *Now you have to have a
>> > passport to cross the border. *Not the border INTO Canada, but the
>> > border to get back into the United States.

>> > We used to go to Lake Metigoshe and cross into Canada on the lake. *W

>> > could buy candy and sweets at a teeny little store. *Best was
>> > MacIntosh Toffee. It came in a flat red cardboard box and it was a
>> > slab of real toffee - not breakable (unless it was cold) you had to
>> > bite it off. *It was really hard on your teeth - removed fillings.
>> > Eating it took patience. *We also bought Humbugs. *They were a hard
>> > brown peppermint dusted with castor sugar. *I think they may have had
>> > horehound in them. *They were wonderful on a sore throat.

>> > When my dad would go fishing in Canada or cross the border for work
>> > (he was a Law Enforcement Officer) he would bring bak great big cans
>> > of Empress jams and preserves. *Raspberry was my favorite, but
>> > Strawberry was his. Once we got blueberry, but mostly it was
>> > strawberry preserves with whole strawberries in the jam. He made bread
>> > almost every weekend that he was home. *Always white bread, his
>> > mother's recipe. Still warm and sliced an inch thick with real butter
>> > it was heaven with that jam!

>> > After I was married and could go to Winnipeg, we would bring back a
>> > dozen or so fat round unsliced loaves of "City Rye Bread" - some with
>> > caraway, some without. *It was dark brown, slightly sweet and chewy
>> > with a wonderful shiny crust. I think it was something about the
>> > water. *They used to sell it at the airport.

>> > Canadian cheddar cheese - extra extra sharp in big wedges. *And Keen'

>> > dry English Mustard and huge sweet *Australian raisins . . .

>> > Canada - Our Good Neighbor to the North. *Responsible for my diabetes

> ,
>> > cholesterol level and dental problems. *Gotta love 'em!
>> > Lynn in Fargo

>> Amazing, I hadn't realised that one couldn't get MacIntosh Toffee or
>> humbugs in the States. Did you ever try the 'black balls" (3 for a
>> penny when I was a kid) that variety stores used to sell. *Black outer
>> coating with a hard white interior.
>>
>> "After I was married and could go to Winnipeg" *Is this some even
>> stranger border control thing that I have not heard about? *Something
>> like not going to Cuba?
>>
>> John Kane Kingston ON Canada

> No, my family always went to Brandon, Manitoba where we had shirt tail
> cousins. Went to Winnipeg with my husband years ago - been back once
> for a day at the Folk Festival up and back in the same day - not even
> a trip into the city! Got friends in Toronto, been there once, loved
> it! Great town for foodies and jazz.
> Lynn in Fargo

Come up to Winterpeg in the fall for folkarama...many ethnic pavillions...lots of good food.

--

The beet goes on -Alan