Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Canadian treats that I loved and grew up on . . .

Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> North Dakota is "muy circa de Canada". Minot, where I was born, is
> about 100 miles from the Canadian border. Now you have to have a
> passport to cross the border. Not the border INTO Canada, but the
> border to get back into the United States.
>
> We used to go to Lake Metigoshe and cross into Canada on the lake. We
> could buy candy and sweets at a teeny little store. Best was
> MacIntosh Toffee. It came in a flat red cardboard box and it was a
> slab of real toffee - not breakable (unless it was cold) you had to
> bite it off. It was really hard on your teeth - removed fillings.
> Eating it took patience. We also bought Humbugs. They were a hard
> brown peppermint dusted with castor sugar. I think they may have had
> horehound in them. They were wonderful on a sore throat.

I think that a lot of dentists made a lot of money of MacIntosh Toffee.
It is good stuff. A bar of that stuff would last me all day. I have not
touched it in years.

> When my dad would go fishing in Canada or cross the border for work
> (he was a Law Enforcement Officer) he would bring bak great big cans
> of Empress jams and preserves. Raspberry was my favorite, but
> Strawberry was his. Once we got blueberry, but mostly it was
> strawberry preserves with whole strawberries in the jam. He made bread
> almost every weekend that he was home. Always white bread, his
> mother's recipe. Still warm and sliced an inch thick with real butter
> it was heaven with that jam!

My mother used to make bread too. About once a week she would bake a
dozen or more loaves. We would come home from school and snack on bread
fresh from the oven with butter and her home made jams.

> Canadian cheddar cheese - extra extra sharp in big wedges. And Keen's
> dry English Mustard and huge sweet Australian raisins . . .

I had some American friends who lived hear for a while and they always
raved about our cheddar cheese. Whenever they came back to visit they
always took back lots of cheddar. They also stocked up on Red River
cereal.

> Canada - Our Good Neighbor to the North. Responsible for my diabetes,
> cholesterol level and dental problems. Gotta love 'em!

One of our sweet treats that I am surprised never seems to have caught
on in the US is butter tarts. And then there is Nanaimo bars. Like
butter tarts,one is not enough and two is one too many.