Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig is offline

Default Canadian treats that I loved and grew up on . . .

On Jun 4, 9:39*am, John Kane > wrote:
> On Jun 4, 12:53*am, Lynn from Fargo > wrote:
>

> > North Dakota is "muy circa de Canada". *Minot, where I was born, is
> > about 100 miles from the Canadian border. *Now you have to have a
> > passport to cross the border. *Not the border INTO Canada, but the
> > border to get back into the United States.

> > We used to go to Lake Metigoshe and cross into Canada on the lake. *We
> > could buy candy and sweets at a teeny little store. *Best was
> > MacIntosh Toffee. It came in a flat red cardboard box and it was a
> > slab of real toffee - not breakable (unless it was cold) you had to
> > bite it off. *It was really hard on your teeth - removed fillings.
> > Eating it took patience. *We also bought Humbugs. *They were a hard
> > brown peppermint dusted with castor sugar. *I think they may have had
> > horehound in them. *They were wonderful on a sore throat.

> > When my dad would go fishing in Canada or cross the border for work
> > (he was a Law Enforcement Officer) he would bring bak great big cans
> > of Empress jams and preserves. *Raspberry was my favorite, but
> > Strawberry was his. Once we got blueberry, but mostly it was
> > strawberry preserves with whole strawberries in the jam. He made bread
> > almost every weekend that he was home. *Always white bread, his
> > mother's recipe. Still warm and sliced an inch thick with real butter
> > it was heaven with that jam!

> > After I was married and could go to Winnipeg, we would bring back a
> > dozen or so fat round unsliced loaves of "City Rye Bread" - some with
> > caraway, some without. *It was dark brown, slightly sweet and chewy
> > with a wonderful shiny crust. I think it was something about the
> > water. *They used to sell it at the airport.

> > Canadian cheddar cheese - extra extra sharp in big wedges. *And Keen's
> > dry English Mustard and huge sweet *Australian raisins . . .

> > Canada - Our Good Neighbor to the North. *Responsible for my diabetes,
> > cholesterol level and dental problems. *Gotta love 'em!
> > Lynn in Fargo

> Amazing, I hadn't realised that one couldn't get MacIntosh Toffee or
> humbugs in the States. Did you ever try the 'black balls" (3 for a
> penny when I was a kid) that variety stores used to sell. *Black outer
> coating with a hard white interior.
>
> "After I was married and could go to Winnipeg" *Is this some even
> stranger border control thing that I have not heard about? *Something
> like not going to Cuba?
>
> John Kane Kingston ON Canada

No, my family always went to Brandon, Manitoba where we had shirt tail
cousins. Went to Winnipeg with my husband years ago - been back once
for a day at the Folk Festival up and back in the same day - not even
a trip into the city! Got friends in Toronto, been there once, loved
it! Great town for foodies and jazz.
Lynn in Fargo