Posted to alt.food.wine
Joseph Coulter[_8_] Joseph Coulter[_8_] is offline

Default WSJ on the WA ethics debate

On Sat, 30 May 2009 14:26:16 -0700 (PDT), DaleW >
wrote:

>> Now of course the question is after suffering through this trip could
>> one be critical?

>I just based my estimate off looking at backpage of NYT Travel,
>Liberty was showing business to Sydney for $4800. I figured Wines of
>Australia could do at least that well!
>
>I saw that in either the Argentina or Chile trip that he was ferried
>in private jet, that could help explain the cost of Aussie trip if
>they also did that.
>
>The other amazing thing was learning that he fairly routinely tastes
>200+ wines in a day, for official review. Whoa, heard of palate
>fatigue?
>
>The claims that there is "no bias" while being royally treated just
>shows an incredible lack of understanding of human psychology (and
>Miller's doctorate is in....you guessed it). Similarly, not realizing
>there is at least subconscious bias when tasting wines from your "best
>friend."

Even though air to Australia has benefitted mightily from the additon
of V Australia and Delta to the mix, I would have to agree that the
trip cost is incredible (first class anyone?) and the objectivity loss
is beyond calculation.

We will see how objective I can be about Le Cote St Jacques after my
dinner in two weeks.

(Just for a comparison on the air. Air in January LAX SYD was running
around $1800 coach, it is now around $600 in September)