Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Whole Wheat and/or Bagels (I remain confused)

Tiger Lily > wrote:
: W. Baker wrote:
: > Julie Bove > wrote:
: >
: > : "Robert of St Louis" > wrote in message
: > : ...
: > : >I keep reading that I can have whole wheat bread and bagels. I hear so
: > : > damned much about bread exchanges. But what if they are these 2 good
: > : > choices?
: >
: > : Bagels are tricky. Something about the way they are processed usually makes
: > : for high blood sugar. As for the bread, you may or may not be able to.
: > : Only way to know is to eat it and test at two hours later.
: >
: > Most of the bagels sold today at bagel stores are so large that they are
: > the equivalent of about 4 slices of bread-even whole wheat one. that is
: > about 60 grams of carb, more than most of us can eat in one meal, and is
: > often the total we eat for the ewhole day.
: >
: > Wendy

: gotta agree, Wendy

: my bread is 12 grams of carbs and a bagel is 60 grams

: 12 X 5 = 60

: NO WAY can i have 5 slices of bread in one sitting, as a bagel would be

: oh......... lox, onion, cream cheese
: very very thinly slice a couple of bits of onions (the middle part will
: have to be cut in 1/2)
: place slices of lox, overlapping them, into a 'line' on a plate
: place blobs of cream cheese on lox, using as much cream cheese as you like
: place the THIN layers of onion on top........ now, roll up the lot,
: making sure the lox is the outside
: eat and enjoy! (i just did)

I eat lox and cream cheese on Wasa or Ryevita crackers and it is delish.

Wendy