Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default TN Older wines from Germany, Austria, France, and California

On May 29, 6:51*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On May 29, 7:04*pm, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
>

> Nice group!
> What region is the Retzer from? If you COULD identify a 30 plus year
> old dessert wine as GV blind, you'd be among all time champs (I think
> I've seen one GV sticky ever)

I found this: "Retz lies 70 km (44 miles) north of Vienna near the
border of the Czech Republic. It is an important wine-growing and
farming center. Austria's largest wine cellar is here with some of the
tunnels dating back to the 13th century." Although a rather small
town, Retz attracts many tourists, especially to their wine festival.

This was a 1973 wine. The label says: "Osterreichisher Qualitatswein
besonderer Reife und Leseart aus dem Weinbaugebiet Retz." It is from
Weinkellereien F. Schaden in Retz. This was an Eiswein-Auslese, but,
as in Germany, the Auslese would not be allowed on a label today. All
wine from Germany labeled Eiswein today must have juice of at least
BA sugar content after pressing the frozen grapes, and I believe the
Austrian wines must follow about the same standards as the German ones
in this respect..