Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default More Sticker Shock

On Sat 30 May 2009 06:12:56a, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> In article
> >,
> Chemo the Clown > wrote:
>
>> On May 29, 3:36*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
>> wrote:

>> > But when the farmers put their land into corn instead of wheat because
>> > of the demand for ethanol, the wheat prices rise. *Increased flour
>> > prices have been killing small independent bakeries.

>> Maybe so but when someone is willing to pay big money for electronic
>> toys, spend a fortune going to the movies, high cable rates, etc,
>> etc....then they ought to be willing to pay 20 cents more for a
>> doughnut. Everything goes up.

> I don't necessarily disagree. I heard an bakery owner talking about a
> psychological set point that people have in their minds about how much a
> doughnut should cost. It was maybe 69 or 75 cents; more than that and
> they wouldn't buy. "A doughnut shouldn't cost more than 75 cents,
> fercripesake!" Logic doesn't necessarily play a key part. I think
> she's right.

In our area the in-store bakeries in the Safeway stores make very good
doughnuts, in fact, better than the doughnuut shops. They're usual price
is 58¢ each. When I went in yesterday morning to buy a drink from the in-
store Starbucks, they're doughnuts were on sale for 25¢ each, so bought 2
dozen to take to work.

Within the past year or so, Dunkin' Doughnuts either complete gutted and
renovated or tore down and rebuilt all of their old stores. They're
doughnuts are now 89¢ each and not nearly as good as they used to be.

Krispy Kreme went out of business in Arizona a few years ago, although I
don't know what the problem was. Now the original owner of their
franchises here has begun opening new shops. Some of them are in previous
Dunkin' Doughnut shops that DD chose not to renovate. I haven't bought any
there yet, but those that co-workers brought in were the same quality as
the original. Yeah, I know that there are many detractors of KK, although
I do like them once in a while if they're still warm.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini