Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default More Sticker Shock

In article
Chemo the Clown > wrote:

> On May 29, 3:36*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:

> > But when the farmers put their land into corn instead of wheat because
> > of the demand for ethanol, the wheat prices rise. *Increased flour
> > prices have been killing small independent bakeries.

> Maybe so but when someone is willing to pay big money for electronic
> toys, spend a fortune going to the movies, high cable rates, etc,
> etc....then they ought to be willing to pay 20 cents more for a
> doughnut. Everything goes up.

I don't necessarily disagree. I heard an bakery owner talking about a
psychological set point that people have in their minds about how much a
doughnut should cost. It was maybe 69 or 75 cents; more than that and
they wouldn't buy. "A doughnut shouldn't cost more than 75 cents,
fercripesake!" Logic doesn't necessarily play a key part. I think
she's right.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009