Posted to rec.food.cooking
Giusi Giusi is offline

Default More Sticker Shock

"<RJ>" ha scritto nel messaggio

> When did the 5lb sack of flour
> jump up to $3.29 ? ( southern AZ )
> Seems like it's been a buck and change forever.
> ( with holiday sales pegging at 99 cents a bag )
> They can't say they're using it to make Ethanol....
> When you couple that with the cost of beef,
> maybe it's a government plan to put Americans on a diet...

I've just returned from the US where I did a lot of shopping and cooking and
I found prices so cheap I worried about what might be wrong with the food!

There are those of us who have been saying for years that we are all bidding
for the same resources, and no one wanted to understand it or hear it. It's
true. The dollar is worth so much less that it takes more of them to buy
whatever thing it is you want. European countries buy that wheat using
euro, the US buys it with dollars. There is no way the farmer will take
less from you because he feels sorry that you only have dollars.

Gas for the car there costs about 1/4 what we pay here. I find it hard to
feel sorry for people who pay $2.35 a gallon for it, who can buy whole
fillet of beef for $5.99 and chicken breasts for $1.89.