Old 30-05-2009, 06:49 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Tiger Lily Tiger Lily is offline

Default Whole Wheat and/or Bagels (I remain confused)

W. Baker wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:

: "Robert of St Louis" wrote in message
: ...
: I keep reading that I can have whole wheat bread and bagels. I hear so
: damned much about bread exchanges. But what if they are these 2 good
: choices?

: Bagels are tricky. Something about the way they are processed usually makes
: for high blood sugar. As for the bread, you may or may not be able to.
: Only way to know is to eat it and test at two hours later.

Most of the bagels sold today at bagel stores are so large that they are
the equivalent of about 4 slices of bread-even whole wheat one. that is
about 60 grams of carb, more than most of us can eat in one meal, and is
often the total we eat for the ewhole day.

Wendy

gotta agree, Wendy

my bread is 12 grams of carbs and a bagel is 60 grams

12 X 5 = 60

NO WAY can i have 5 slices of bread in one sitting, as a bagel would be

oh......... lox, onion, cream cheese
very very thinly slice a couple of bits of onions (the middle part will
have to be cut in 1/2)
place slices of lox, overlapping them, into a 'line' on a plate
place blobs of cream cheese on lox, using as much cream cheese as you like
place the THIN layers of onion on top........ now, roll up the lot,
making sure the lox is the outside
eat and enjoy! (i just did)