Posted to alt.food.wine
Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] is offline

Default 1982 Bordeaux

In article
"Bi!!" > wrote:

> I met with a few friends to open a few bottles of 1982 Bordeaux that
> one member of the group wanted to open and share. Lucky me.
>
> 1982 Chateau Margaux-The lightest in color of the group slightly
> brickish. Elegant nose of cassis and cedar with a typical floral
> violet aroma. Powerful yet light on the palate with plenty of cedar,
> tobacco and red berry.
>
> 1982 Chateau Haut Brion-Medium bodied, brickish at the rim. Very
> aromatic with lots of stony mineral on the nose. Black currant and
> leather with a fair amount of cigarbox.
>
> 1982 Chateau La Tour Haut Brion-Inky purple. A huge nose of sweet
> cassis. Brutally tannic still needs time. Lots of black fruits and
> black dirt. My first encounter with this bottle.
>
> 1982 Chateau Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande-WOTN. WOW.
> Incredible richness in the nose. Prototypical Pauillac with a ton of
> cassis and lead pencil on the very rich full nose. Lots of dense
> black fruits, anise, espresso, cedar and graphite.
>
> These wines were served with grilled lamp "pops" and Allen Brothers
> New York Strips grilled to perfection. Thank God for Lipitor.

I am surprised with the brutal tannins in the Chateau La Tour Haut
Brion. All of the '82 Bordeaux I have had recently had very resolved
tannins and I would think if it is still this tannic after 27 years will
never resolve. Nice notes. The Pinchon Longueville '82 is one of my
favorites from that year along with the Leoville Las Cases.