Posted to alt.food.wine
santiago santiago is offline

Default WSJ on the WA ethics debate

DaleW > wrote in news:7e32e5c5-0d10-4fbd-9bed-2594f46311d9
@h23g2000vbc.googlegroups.com:

> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB12433018307425

What a tough subject. To be frank, I dislike the behavior of Miller and
Squires. I have always had a good perception of Robert Parker, even if I
did not agree with all his tasting notes or his ratings. I thought he
actually was a consumer's advocate.

But then I think he made a mistake in his expansion plans. If he was the
leading critic for Bordeaux, the Rhone and California, so be it. But I do
not see the need to relax the reputation of the publication trying to cover
new wine areas. Reputation, and not a palate, is the main asset of a wine
critic.

World is very interesting reading Parker for Bordeaux (I do not really care
for California for lack of availability, nor the Rhone for the style),
Allen Meadows for Burgundy (though he is quite predictable) and I would pay
for a publication by David Schildknecht about Germany, Champagne and Loire.
In fact, my bet is that David will leave TWA to start his own bulletin some
day.

The critics of Spanish wines are so American that they do not make much
sense. Guess the value that would have for the American market, a Spanish
critic judging California wines by the stilistic standard of Australian
Spoofulated Fruit Bombs.

best,

s.