Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Mike Romain[_2_] Mike Romain[_2_] is offline

Default Sour sourdough bread.

Mike wrote:
> Hi,
> Awfully sorry for the dreadfull blander in my last posting:
> The recipy supposed to be:
> White flour (13 % gluten content) - 100%
>
> Sour (50/50 flour to water) - up to 100%
>
> Salt - 2%
>
> Water - 60 %
>
> Bulk fermentation - 6 h
>
> Proofing - 2.5 h
>
> Baking 230 C for 40 min
>
> And those are baker's %%
>
> Regards Mike

Clear like mud....

You folks and your 'bakers' 'percents'....

Sorry, but they still don't make sense... 262% total eh...

If I want a fast rise time for 'white' flour bread, I use 2 cups of
foamy 'active' starter (pancake batter consistency, stirs down to one
cup) for one 'dose' of yeast to a total recipe of 5-6 cups of flour and
one tbsp salt with enough water (2 cups approx) to make a sticky dough
for two loaves. This makes a mild tasting sourdough bread.

One 'dose' of yeast is one packet or one scant tablespoon or 2 1/4
teaspoons or one block. I got this 'conversion' rate from The Joy Of
Cooking cookbook and it works for most things that call for yeast.

This will rise in the afternoon for an evening bake or take 4-6 hours.
Makes a 'very' good pizza crust also.

If I want a sour loaf, I use Dicks recipe modified slightly for hand mixing:
http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/dickpics/billowy.html

My loaves come out as nice looking as Dicks. The starter must be active
and growing good so several pre-feeds are needed from the fridge storage
stage to the useful stage.

Dicks 'Billowy' recipe is a nice consistent working one also.

Mike
Some bread photos: http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com