Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sarah[_1_] Sarah[_1_] is offline

Default Induction hobs? Worth the extra money?

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> Induction hobs are supposed to be very good, but you do need the proper
> cookware for them; must be magnetic. Personally, I'd never switch from
> gas to electric, but I've happily done the opposite. Any of the flat top
> ranges are a bit fussier about having flat cookware.
>
> Do they make a combo units of standard element and induction?
>
> Gas burners also works in the case of power failures if that is a concern.
> Usually not a big deal, but we were out for 14 hours a couple of weeks ago
> and still managed to easily cook a nice meal.

That is a good point! We don't have many power cuts, but I've never had all
my eggs in one basket, so to speak. The gas burners on my 'stove top' as you
all seem to call them, are one of the simpler designs (a Neff gas appliance)
but still require taking to pieces every time I cook to clean it down. The
electric designs appealed to me with their wipe down surfaces, but the
ceramic versus induction is what's cause for investigation. The ceramic
retail from about £250, where as the induction appear to start at at least
£500 and go up to £1000 for top of the range Neff. Is it really that much
better? Or am I paying for new technology that isn't required?

Thanks

Sarah