Posted to rec.food.cooking
hahabogus[_3_] hahabogus[_3_] is offline

Default Induction hobs? Worth the extra money?

"cshenk" > wrote in
on May Sat 2009 am

> "Sarah" > wrote
>
>> I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new kitchen.
>> I'm in a dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least £500 more than
>> the ceramic hobs.

> What is a 'hob'?

An induction hob is as fast as gas to reach temp...gives a more even heat across the bottom of the
pot/pan than either gas or ceramic and is easier to clean than a ceramic burner/hob. Plus it is
cheaper on your electric bill in the long run.

The burner cools down faster than ceramic after shutting it off as the actual burner produces no
heat and is only heated by reflected heat back from the pot/pan.

Ceramics are affully hard to get to a low simmer as well as hard to clean....I'd go for the induction.

Don't forget you need ferric based pots/pans to use induction...if a magnet won't stick to your
pan...it won't heat. (You can readily get pans that work with a non-stick coating.)

--

The beet goes on -Alan