Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Mike Romain[_2_] Mike Romain[_2_] is offline

Default Sour sourdough bread.

Mike wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I use liquid sour (50/50 flour to water) to make my white bread. The sour
> itself tastes as sour as hell, the dough is sour but the taste of the baked
> bread is very neutral, very similar to ordinary commercial yeasted bread.
>
> I use liquid sour since the stiff one is less sour than the liquid one,
> hardly any acid in it.
>
> At the same time some artesian bakery in my locality produce beautiful
> sourdough breads with various degrees of sourness - from mild to a very
> strong , San Francisco type. Any ideas about what is happening to my bread?
> I have tryed a few different starters but to no avail.
>
> Regards Michael

I also like the small amount of starter and long rise at room
temperature for making the nice sour loaf. Dick's 12 hours is about right.

If I use more starter per volume, like 2 cups of sponge per 'dose' of
yeast vs a walnut sized chunk for two loaves, I can make them rise
faster but at the expense of the sour.

Mike
Some bread photos: http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com