Old 21-05-2009, 05:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
TammyM TammyM is offline

Default samosa's what went wrong?

"BB" . wrote in message
Hi
Ok I got the hump.
I made up a samosa filling.
Used pre-made samosa/ spring roll pastry sheets.
Then shoved them in hot oil.
Done it before and all worked fine. Used left over pastry that was
refrozen before, no problems.
This time they puffed up and opened up, filling everywhere, well in the
pan. Small blessing.
They also didn't brown as normal.
Same pastry (Wheat flour, veg oil, salt, water it says on the packet).
Used ground nut oil as usual.
So went and bought some new wrappers. Thought maybe it's the freezing.
Same thing.
Only difference was I used lemon juice in the filling instead of mango
powder. Recipe says either.
Any ideas as to why it went wrong?
Cheers Ian

Ian, sounds to me like perhaps you didn't seal them well enough. I don't
make samosas with spring roll sheets, but when I make wontons, the old
wrapper explosion means I wasn't quite diligent enough in pressing the
wrappers tightly together.

HTH,
TammyM