Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Evelyn Evelyn is offline

Default Mmm... Peas!

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article >,

>>> Really? My mom always put them in there so I assumed that was a normal
>>> thing.

>> Ummm... isn't he agreeing?
>>
>> I used to put peas into tuna casserole all the time, but now I mostly
>> double up on the mushrooms. But fresh peas are just around the corner,
>> and I cannot wait!

> My husband likes peas in tuna casserole. But the tuna casserole he likes
> has regular wheat and egg pasta and cream of mushroom soup in it. Angela
> and I can't have that kind. I used a rice and quinoa blend pasta and had
> to make my own mushroom soup. I think that's the part he didn't like.
> And perhaps the fact that I used canned tuna. We've gotten used to the
> kind in the pouch and personally I think it tastes a LOT better.

I would agree with you that the pouch tuna is better.

About the home made mushroom soup, try this;

Cook and reserve your mushrooms or else just finely chop them in your
processor.

Melt a couple of tablespoons of butter in a saucepan
Add some flour, salt and pepper to it to soak up all the butter.
Now add a generous amount of cold milk to that and a chicken bouillion cube
and stir over heat till it thickens.
Add in your sauteed or finely chopped mushrooms and cook for a minute or two
more.

This ought to taste as good or better than the canned stuff.

If you can't use the flour, I would suggest using corn starch or arrowroot
powder dissolved in a little water first, and adding that to the hot milk to
thicken.
--

Evelyn

"Since everything is but an apparition, perfect in being what it is, having
nothing to do with good or bad, acceptance or rejection, one may well burst
into laughter." -Longchenpa