Posted to rec.food.cooking
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default corn flour versus wheat flour

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> > He still has a belly to lose, and on his part, it is voluntary.
> > I actually have trouble getting him to eat enough! I'll also serve him
> > requests if he asks. He ate quite a bit of the brown rice I'd prepared
> > for him, but I made too much and had to toss it when it was 8 days old
> > and went sour. I'm a stickler for food safety and check it routinely.
> > I'm not eating any starch at all at the moment.
> >

> Doesn't mean his body doesn't need starches.

There is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate except maybe fiber.

> > I'm just glad he's eating again. He went a month living on only the
> > protein shakes I made him when he got out of the hospital a couple of
> > months ago. I really thought he was going to die on me. :-(
> > He only lost 5 lbs. due to the calorie count in the shakes. I'm not
> > trying to starve him to death, honest!
> >

> I know that!
>
> > You have no idea how sweet it was to hear him say "What's for
> > breakfast?:" that Friday morning. :-)
> > --
> > Peace! Om
> >

> Yes, actually I do know. But losing a "belly" isn't the same thing as
> getting the nutrition he needs. I still think you need to consult with his
> doctor or a registered dietician before trying to get him to eat low-carb
> all the time. It's not for everyone. My mother needed lots of carbs to
> boost her energy before she died. Before she got so picky about food she
> was eating lots of potatoes, pasta and bread (toast). She had lots of
> energy. She'd get up and watch TV with me, sat and talked with me, etc.
> She also got lots of protein from eggs, bacon, sausage and meats and
> poultry. But the carbs were essential, too. Just sayin'. I'd urge you to
> talk with his doctor before making a unilateral decision about what is best
> for his diet. It's not based on your health (nor on a "belly").
>
> Jill

He's been out and about, and he had a sandwich with whole wheat bread
this morning, plus I've found dead packages of fig newtons in the trash.
;-) He's getting SOME starch and sugar. He gets an SSI check...

He also eats bananas on a regular basis and I cook him any veggies he
buys, mainly carrots and broccoli. I bought some Mexican zucchini
yesterday and plan to grill that with some Italian herbs and sesame
seeds, then top it with a little marinara sauce.

Low carb is not NO carb.

But thank you. ;-)
--
Peace! Om