Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default corn flour versus wheat flour

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> > I routinely prepare separate meals for dad and I, but over this
>> > weekend,
>> > both of us enjoyed those lettuce wraps! I'll gradually wean him over
>> > my way of eating. <g>
>> >

>> But should your dad be eating low carb? What does his doctor recommend?
>> Let him eat lettuce wraps if he loved them, but by all means consult his
>> doctor before "converting" him.

> He still has a belly to lose, and on his part, it is voluntary.
> I actually have trouble getting him to eat enough! I'll also serve him
> requests if he asks. He ate quite a bit of the brown rice I'd prepared
> for him, but I made too much and had to toss it when it was 8 days old
> and went sour. I'm a stickler for food safety and check it routinely.
> I'm not eating any starch at all at the moment.

Doesn't mean his body doesn't need starches.

> I'm just glad he's eating again. He went a month living on only the
> protein shakes I made him when he got out of the hospital a couple of
> months ago. I really thought he was going to die on me. :-(
> He only lost 5 lbs. due to the calorie count in the shakes. I'm not
> trying to starve him to death, honest!

I know that!

> You have no idea how sweet it was to hear him say "What's for
> breakfast?:" that Friday morning. :-)
> --
> Peace! Om

Yes, actually I do know. But losing a "belly" isn't the same thing as
getting the nutrition he needs. I still think you need to consult with his
doctor or a registered dietician before trying to get him to eat low-carb
all the time. It's not for everyone. My mother needed lots of carbs to
boost her energy before she died. Before she got so picky about food she
was eating lots of potatoes, pasta and bread (toast). She had lots of
energy. She'd get up and watch TV with me, sat and talked with me, etc.
She also got lots of protein from eggs, bacon, sausage and meats and
poultry. But the carbs were essential, too. Just sayin'. I'd urge you to
talk with his doctor before making a unilateral decision about what is best
for his diet. It's not based on your health (nor on a "belly").

Jill