Posted to rec.food.baking
Mr. Bill[_2_] Mr. Bill[_2_] is offline

Default Rhubarb Cobbler

An unusual ingredient in the cobbler dough!!

Rhubarb Cobbler
Adapted from Claudia Fleming via New York Magazine
as found on smittenkitchen.com

The biscuit topping includes the curious ingredient of hard-boiled egg
yolks. I’ve been trying for days to find the reason behind it’s
inclusion (as I am sure someone will ask) but without my cookbooks
still boxed up, my access to technique information is limited. I know
that some people grind up a hard boiled yolk in their sables, to make
them sandier and would argue that this makes the biscuits a little
richer and cakier. Whether that’s the official rationale behind it or
not, however, I don’t care — this will be the only biscuit topping I
use for now on. It is perfect. I never should have doubted it.

As for the dish together, the one note I’d add is that the proportion
of biscuit to fruit is actually quite high. Now I know this sounds
like a dream come true for a lot of people, but should you like a
little more fruit with your cake, simply double the fruit quantity
below, or halve the topping.

For dough
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 hard-boiled egg yolks
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream

For rhubarb
2 pounds rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 6 cups)
1/2 cup sugar
1-inch piece of vanilla bean, split lengthwise, pulp scraped
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon turbinado sugar

In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, baking
powder, egg yolks, and salt. Pulse to combine. Add the butter and
pulse until the flour resembles coarse meal. Add 2/3 cup of cream and
pulse until the dough comes together. Turn the dough onto a lightly
floured surface and gently pat it together, incorporating any stray
crumbs.

Using a small ice cream scoop or a large spoon*, form the dough into
2-inch balls, then flatten them slightly into thick rounds. Chill for
20 minutes (and up to 2 hours). Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put the
rhubarb in a shallow 21/2- quart casserole dish and toss with sugar,
vanilla, and cornstarch. Allow to macerate 15 minutes.

Arrange the biscuit rounds on top, leaving about an inch between them.
Brush the biscuits with cream and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake
the cobbler until the rhubarb is bubbling and the biscuits are golden
brown, about 40 to 45 minutes. Serve with ice cream or crème fraîche.

* I haven’t unearthed my scoops yet, but I did find some cookie
cutters, so I simply patted my dough out on a floured surface and cut
them instead. Besides, who doesn’t like flower-shaped biscuits?