Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
AK AK is offline

Default Chai thread!

hoelk wrote:
> one tblspoon black tea (cheap and strong)
> one cup water
> one cup milk (no half and half here, dunno if would be better)
> bit of cadamom, ginger, black pepper
> White sugar (i tried many different kinds of sweetener, i still prefere
> normal white sugar it seams)
>
> thats how i do it
> adding malt coffee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_substitute) can
> also be great

white sugar - are you sure it's not because same amount of it will
be ~1.5x sweeter than brown sugar?

I should try molasses one of these days.. I need to buy molasses for
bread anyway.

Here's what I'm doing now:

* half and half
* simmer 15 mins
* stir all the time
* turbinado sugar

The neat thing is that it really fuses into something entirely different
than just tea with added milk. 15 minutes and stirring really create a
new beast. The only issue I'm having is that the tea I have (Shahrzad)
isn't very good so if I add too much of it, it becomes bitter rather
than strong tea-flavored. I think a decent assam might work much better.

-ak