Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default 1995 Monsanto Il Poggio Riserva

On May 4, 11:06�am, "Dee Randall" > wrote:
> "Bi!!" > wrote in message

> > While rummaging around in the cellar I found two bottles of 1995
> > Monsanto Il Poggio RIserva Chianti and decided to open one with
> > dinner. �The wine was slightly brickish but I find that a lot of
> > Chianti and Sangiovese have a brickish cast to them even when young.
> > The nose was a bit tight and restrained with a bit of tobacco and a
> > woody cedary note. �On the palate the wine was a bit tired. �The fruit
> > was somewhat flat witha bit of sour cherry and a slight herbal note.
> > THe tannins were very drying on the palate almost a dusty feel.
> > OVerall not very charming and just drinkable. "C"

> http://www.snooth.com/wine/umberto-c...-romagna-super...
>
> I'm trying to understand a little mo
> The wine I'm linking to says that it is Cesari and Il Poggio 1995
> Your bottles were Monsanto and Il Poggio 1995
>
> If Cesari is a winery
> and
> Monsanto is a winery?
>
> What is the Il Poggio referring to?
>
> Thanks so much.
>
> Dee Dee

Everybody seems to have answered your question so I'll leave it at
Monsanto Il Poggio (the hilltop) is Monsanto's top wine only bottled
in "good" years. he picture on the label kind of explain it.This
bottle was a bit tired, still drinkable but not at top form. When it
was young it was quite tasty but still only a "B+" IIRC. Thanks
Anders for the reference from the Monsanto website.