Posted to rec.food.cooking
Food SnobŪ[_2_] Food SnobŪ[_2_] is offline

Default tomato paste vs tomato sauce

On May 4, 2:54*pm, Andy > wrote:
> said...
>
> > I looked on the label of a small can of tomato sauce, and I noticed
> > that the main ingredient was tomato paste. So would you be better off
> > just buying paste, and adding liquid to it? or would it not make much
> > difference. I have been a label reader for forty years, and cannot
> > believe that I never noticed this before.

> > Thanks

> Tomato paste is much more natural.
>
> I enjoy the tang of paste. YMMV.

Me too. Especially Contadina. I make a pasta sauce that has nothing
but paste, water and bay leaf. I simmer browned meatballs in it. The
meatballs have nothing in them but very lean ground beef, pulverized
fat free saltines, and EVOO. Simmering mellows the acid, and no
sugar is needed. This was my mother's recipe, except that she used
regular saltines, and fattier ground beef. Substituting EVOO for all
the fat in the saltines, and most of the fat in the beef, IMO,
improves the flavor.

> Best,
>
> Andy
> --

--Bryan listen @ http://www.MySpace.com/TheBonobos

"The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
--Steve Wertz in rec.food.cooking 4-20-2009