Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking
Sqwertz[_27_] Sqwertz[_27_] is offline

Default Baking soda question for Banana Bread recipe

Paco wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>
>> Baking soda doesn't absorb odors. That's on of the most successful
>> marketing lies of the [last] century.

> (Baking soda does absorb some odors, just not very efficiently;
> activated charcoal does a much better job of it. Baking soda helps
> neutralize odors caused by acids forming. The best solution is to
> dedicate the refrigerator to its primary intended use; keeping beer cold.)

To be effective at neutralizing odors (not "absorbing"), baking soda would
have to placed directly on the odor itself - usually an acidic substance.
An open box of BS (and that's what it is, pure BS) will do nothing (or
very little) to eliminate orders.

http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm

This is why I'm one of the three smartest men on Usenet. And since the
other two haven't been seen for almost a year (murdered?), that makes
ME #1 according to Jerry - who thinks I'm the elusive "Steve".

-sw