Larry Noah

Default First pork butts a huge success

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 14:22:06 GMT, "Jason in Dallas" >
wrote:

>Being Texan, butts are not something I'm accustomed to but finally decided
>to see what all the fuss was about:
>
>Bought a cryo 6lb and an 8lb bone-in butt on sale. Used a WSM with a
>Brinkmann water pan, using Kingsford (gasp!) a'la Minion Method, and some
>hickory and some apple chunks. Slathered butts with mustard and whipped up a
>rub with a half dozen or so typical seasonings. Smoked at about 225F until
>they hit 195F since I wanted extra tender. Took maybe 20 hours or so to
>cook. Allowed to rest foiled in cooler for a while after cooking.
>
>Butts pulled very easily with a couple forks. Good bark, good aroma, extra
>tender. Biggest problem in pulling the pork was not totally pigging out as I
>pulled. Served on sesame seed buns I toasted on a griddle with a bit of the
>rendered fat. Sauced the sandwiches with a mustard-vinegar-oil sauce adding
>brown sugar and crushed red pepper.
>
>Pretty freaking good.

Sounds great. I have slight variations with mine. I pull with my
hands (wearing food grade rubber gloves). I pull just as soon as it
is cool enough to handle with the gloves.

The other variation is instead of sauce, I pile cole slaw on the
sandwich. This is the way I was taught may years ago in Charlotte,
NC.