Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Mike Romain[_2_] Mike Romain[_2_] is offline

Default Carl's Starter + Mike's San Franciso Starter Recipe, First Attempt

Yah Evets wrote:
> After reading a bit and trying to figure out what went wrong, I think
> the recipe that I was using might not be the best one for me to start
> out with. Letting the bread rise for 12-16 hours isn't working for me
> at all. The bread gets all messed up in that amount of time.

For the long rises and the wet dough I like to work with, I use a mold
to hold it's shape and I cover it to prevent it drying out. I have a
large salad bowl that fits over a loaf without touching it and a variety
of pyrex dishes for molds. If I worry about my cover touching, I grease
it and shake some cornmeal on it like I do for my mold, that allows it
to peel off without messing the loaf.

>So I am
> going to try a poolish approach instead, and let the sour develop
> beforehand,

I only get heavy bread that way, decent enough, but I do like the fluffy
stuff.

Mike
Some bread photos: http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com