Jason in Dallas

Default First pork butts a huge success

Being Texan, butts are not something I'm accustomed to but finally decided
to see what all the fuss was about:

Bought a cryo 6lb and an 8lb bone-in butt on sale. Used a WSM with a
Brinkmann water pan, using Kingsford (gasp!) a'la Minion Method, and some
hickory and some apple chunks. Slathered butts with mustard and whipped up a
rub with a half dozen or so typical seasonings. Smoked at about 225F until
they hit 195F since I wanted extra tender. Took maybe 20 hours or so to
cook. Allowed to rest foiled in cooler for a while after cooking.

Butts pulled very easily with a couple forks. Good bark, good aroma, extra
tender. Biggest problem in pulling the pork was not totally pigging out as I
pulled. Served on sesame seed buns I toasted on a griddle with a bit of the
rendered fat. Sauced the sandwiches with a mustard-vinegar-oil sauce adding
brown sugar and crushed red pepper.

Pretty freaking good.