Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2009-04-30) NS-RFC: To Brand or Not To Brand...

Terry wrote on Thu, 30 Apr 2009 14:45:39 -0500:

>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> Thanks go to Terry ("Prfesser") for this survey.

> I looked in the pantry and realized that most of what I buy is
> Kroger brand. Flour, sugar, most staples, canned goods,
> snacks, most cereals...except for Post Raisin Bran and
> Cheerios. Real Cheerios. Tried and tried, but I've never
> found a store brand that could match 'em.

I often buy herbs and spices from the local health-food co-op but I buy
store brands if at all possible. Some name brands, like Heinz Ketchup
and Kellog Bran-Flakes are reproduced so well by store brands that you
might suspect they were made in the same factory but that's a matter of
taste. Trader Joe's does rather better on coffees and preserves than
other supermarkets. I tend to stay away from any Oriental foods in
supermarkets since they seem inferior and more expensive than those from
two relatively nearby Chinese supermarkets.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland