Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2009-04-30) NS-RFC: To Brand or Not To Brand...

Omelet wrote:

> I personally mostly purchase store brand, but we are blessed with a
> store brand that is reliably good. Hill Country Fare.
>
> Occasionally tho' it'll be higher than a name brand so I'll get whatever
> is less expensive. <g>

The Zehr's stores around here carry a lot of President's choice
products. There aren't as many food processors as they used to be and a
lot of the processed foods are made by the same company with different
labels stuck on them. FWIW, during the winter I deep fry hot chicken
wings almost every Saturday. I discovered that their hot sauce is
virtually identical to Franks, but abut one quarter the price.

> One very notable exception tho' is pet food. I _never_ purchase generic
> or store brand of that. But that's due to a past bad experience with it.

We learned from the pet food poisoning incident last year that, like
food for human consumption, most of those dozens of different brands of
dog and cat food are made by one or two companies. My dog seems to
prefer the "no name" brand of dry and canned dog food. we have offered
him better <?> but he likes the cheap stuff.