Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Dominic T. Dominic T. is offline

Default Another litterary account... unknown tea

On Apr 30, 3:35*am, Ana Vasil > wrote:
> Dominic T. wrote:
> > Yes, that was the conclusion I sort of came up with but the part that
> > threw me off was the description of it being "almost black, like
> > Turkish coffee."

> If you prepared TGY the way I'm accustomed to drinking it, you'd probably
> call it thick and almost-black, too. *:-)
>
> >The only problem I have with this book is that it is
> > written with full detailed conversations and descriptions however the
> > writer is a white guy who simply interviewed a lot of people about
> > Johnny Kon. So all of the detail is invented as he wasn't actually
> > there as the text would make you believe, and when it comes to non-
> > fiction I'd prefer it to be fully accurate or not at all. So, this
> > account is most likely invented based on real tea experiences...

> Yeah, that's why I don't think there's any reason to take Sack's
> descriptions..."litterally". *Heh.
>
> It's funny enough that the thugs were drinking from pink-flowered cups.
> Imagine if Sack had also written, "The tea's pellucidly golden, like a pool
> of liquid sunshine shimmering in the delicate porcelain vessel."
>
> "Almost black, like Turkish coffee" sounds far more gangster-ish, no?

Good point. I actually hadn't thought about exaggeration in the tea
description since it seemed pretty accurate and taken from some real
life experience... but very plausible. It really drives me insane when
people write true accounts by using 90% fictitious information and
conversations... at that point just write a novel that has some
elements drawn from real life.

- Dominic

(It looks like the flood gates finally opened and all of my posts
showed up)