Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Dominic T. Dominic T. is offline

Default Chai thread!

On Apr 29, 9:03*pm, AK > wrote:
> Milk or half and half?
>
> What's your favorite recipe?
>
> Does it matter much if spices are cheap or expensive?
>
> What's your favorite source for spices?
>
> What is the best sweetener - brown sugar, turbinado sugar, something else?
>
> -ak (rainy)

My wife is more of a fan than me so by proxy I end up sampling a few
here and there. The best chai I've had actually came from teabags and
I think the brand was "Fantasy" they came in a plastic tub-like
container from a now-out-of-business Indian market. With that I'd
either use turbinado or a simple syrup made from yellow lump sugar and
usually just some skim milk.

I had a really good green tea chai latte (Geez that's hard to admit
truthfully) from my local Border's bookstore cafe I believe it was
Seattle's Best. It had a matcha base and was really great.

I normally have the spices just around for cooking purposes if I want
to experiment with my own, I get them in medium sized clear plastic
bags hand packed at a different local Indian market. They are super
cheap compared to buying spices in a grocery store and I'd have to
imagine they are fresher and higher quality than most. I don't have
anything perfected to actual amounts though since again, it isn't a
major favorite of mine but I do love heavy cardamom and not much in
the way at all of spices like black pepper. I do tend to make chai or
Thai iced tea when we have guests over though so I get some practice.

- Dominic