Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
AK AK is offline

Default Gaiwans have won

Dominic T. wrote:
> I've been an on-again-off-again user of various gaiwans and while I
> really enjoy them I go back to my Bodum Yo-Yo mug/infusers more often
> than I care to admit. Other times it is a Taiwanese tea tasting set,
> the three-piece ceramic infuser mug or good 'ole Yixing. I have
> finally come to my own conclusion that nothing beats the gaiwan in
> almost every category. The flavor of almost any tea is (IMHO) enhanced
> greater by the gaiwan than any other. It pains me to say but even my
> beloved Yixing which tends to mute some flavors and create a smoother
> overall experience which isn't always a good thing (actually I've
> found less times it is a positive than negative).
>
> I have gone back and forth and make mental notes over and over again
> amongst them all and I can't deny the results. Ease of use, flavor,
> aroma, pour, cleanup, handling, etc. they are just a perfect vessel. I
> will say that I do prefer glazed china/porcelain for the overall feel
> and the friction between the lid and cup which glass and some other
> materials lack. Keep in mind I tend to drink heavily roasted/fired
> oolongs (no TGY/green/floral oolongs), Chinese greens of all sorts,
> Japanese greens, yellow teas, and a few black/red/puerh so it may be
> that it just fits my teas better but overall and over quite a bit of
> time I can't deny the clear winner for me. I mostly drink straight
> from it, with only a few teas requiring pouring off into a separate
> cup.
>
> I'd be interested to hear of others favorite vessels and findings for
> their teas of choice.
>
> - Dominic

How much water do you heat up at a time and how do you keep it hot?
I almost never use gaiwan lately because it's too much hassle to go
to the kitchen and heat up more water and I don't like the taste of
water boiled with an electric kettle.. other than that I'd love to
use gaiwans more often. I end up only drinking blacks, greens and
yellows because of this. -ak