Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian
Ciccio Ciccio is offline

Default Death to cilantro!

On Apr 15, 1:25*pm, (axlq) wrote:

> Simmer down. *I was being sarcastic, more or less.

Maybe you were. Yet, there are idiots who actually assert such
bullshit.

> Two weeks ago an Indian friend put on a baby shower for us.
> My Mom asked our friends which dishes had cilantro in them, and they
> told her "none". *They were using coriander in some dishes. *My
> Mom thought afterward that she was lied to until I explained that
> Indians likely don't call it cilantro, and may not have known what
> she meant, to which she responded "maybe that was my mistake."
>
> The very next week, with her comment in mind, I posted the above
> reply.

Hosts serving guests at at private baby shower is a big difference
from a professional restauranter serving paying patrons.

Though, in both instances, it is rather odd that nobody inquired
something like: "What is cilantro?" I mean jeez, if some Indian were
to ask me: "Is there dhanyia in the food?" Almost reflexively I'd
reply: "What is dhanyia?" Perhaps, it's part of Indian social mores
not to make such inquiries.

Ciccio