Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Dominic T. Dominic T. is offline

Default Gaiwans have won

On Apr 24, 2:21*pm, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> "Dominic T." > writes:
> > [...]

> > I mostly drink straight from it, with only a few teas requiring
> > pouring off into a separate cup.

> I imagine the teas you find requiring you to decant the liquor are
> greens, right?
>
> I think it's always worthwhile pouring off the liquor from the gaiwan
> when it's done. *That way, you get to drink it exactly the way you
> want. *The only time I drink from the brewing vessel is when I'm using
> a travel brewer, like those double-walled Chinese glass things, and
> that's a compromise.
>
> I use gaiwans the great majority of the time, but I think there are
> some valuable effects you can get from some teas only with an unglazed
> (Yixing) teapot.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Yes, mainly the Japanese greens and a few oolongs need poured off to
keep the perfect flavor, but some greens and the yellows are pretty
tolerant of being left in and drank reasonably fast. BLC depends on
the type as to what's best and any green that gets very bitter needs
poured off, but Tai Ping Hou Kui, Dragonwell, Huo Shan Huang Ya,
tightly rolled BLC, and a bunch of other more mellow Chinese greens
can stay in. Kudingcha comes out, but I do prefer it in my gaiwan
too

Which teas do you find come out best from the Yixing? I've found I
still like my jasmine green from Yixing (so wrong, but so right),
anything that really shines from tons of leaf and quick brewing,
cooked Puerh, some Shui Xian, and the Teaspring Song Zhong Dan Cong
which comes out peachy and smooth and almost buttery.

- Dominic