Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Dominic T. Dominic T. is offline

Default Cracking the vase

On Apr 24, 9:41*am, dogma_i Vz > wrote:
> Spring has arrived in Boston, and with it (if you'll forgive a little
> synaesthesia) a refulgence of aroma in the larder where most of my
> Pu-erh lives.
>
> Appropriate technology department...Lots of talk on various lists about
> tools and techniques for deconstructing tightly compressed Pu-erh cakes.
> I've found that just storing most examples for a year or two in
> conditions of varying temperature and humidity loosens them up quite a
> bit. However, I also make frequent use of the two tools described in
> this post on Mr. Petro's site:
>
> http://pu-erh.net/phpBB/nfphpbb/view...ighlight=dogma
>
> (If that doesn't work, just go to the Forums page and search the term
> "dissection" - it's that word's only appearance.)
>
> I would stress that in my opinion, the success of these tools is
> critically dependent on their shortness. This allows the application of
> a great deal of force while maintaining good control, with nil risk of
> injury. (I was inspired to try this by experience with engraving tools,
> which work the same way.) The detailed finish of the blade tips also
> seems to help: a moderately (not extremely) sharp edge, buffed to a
> mirror finish.
>
> When people ask about tools for breaking up an entire cake into chunks
> that can then more easily be further divided, I sometimes suggest an
> arbor press:
>
> http://images.google.com/images?&q=arbor+press
>
> These are readily available at used-tool stores, and are quite adaptable
> in all sorts of ways. They are also fairly clunky. I've tried an antique
> book press (used to collect them); only the largest and heaviest models
> could deliver the needed force.
>
> More convenient for the kitchen might be a gear puller:
>
> http://images.google.com/images?&q=gear+puller
>
> These are small, light, cheap (under $20 new), and surprisingly
> powerful. I haven't actually confirmed the approach, since my gear
> puller seems to have gone walkabout. But perhaps some automobile
> enthusiast here would like to try. If anyone wants to buy one for the
> purpose, be aware that both two- and three-jaw versions are available.
> For square cakes, a two-jaw version would be preferable. Also, many have
> hooks that are too short to grip the rounded edge of a tuocha, so check
> that first.
>
> Other recommendations, if someone wants to try: pick one with a
> fine-pitch screw, which makes it easier to generate a lot of force; and
> wipe off any loose oil to avoid contaminating the cake.
>
> Hope this is useful to somebody out there.
>
> -DM

I have two favored tools, one is a beautiful wooden-handled oyster
knife that is very stout and the handle has quite a bit of flare at
the knife end which almost eliminates any chance of slippage, the
other is an old letter opener which I have used for almost every
household task known to man except for opening a letter. It has a long
thin blade but is made of a very heavy metal and some sort of gold-
colored exterior which doesn't appear to be simple plating as it has
never worn off. It has a sharp pointed tip and the blade itself is
flat on one side and comes to a raised point on the other (a flattish
triangle profile). The thin, extra-pointy blade with the half-raised
profile splits through very heavily compressed tea amazingly well.

I never thought of the stubby flat head screwdriver idea, good one!
The mental image of struggling with an antique book press was worth
the price of admission

- Dominic