Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Dominic T. Dominic T. is offline

Default Tea in Malls

On Apr 23, 8:22*am, wrote:
> Ill bet I bought more tea at Teavana than you. *I cant pass up a tea
> store good or bad. *Ill probably go back and buy their doubled walled
> glass matcha bowl for $10. *Ill pass on the whisk which cost $$$
> extra. *The newest Teavana is in one of the malls of the national
> corporation that just went bankrupt. *Interesting what will happen to
> the residential community that specifically incorporated into a city
> and annexed the mall so they could obtain the sales tax in lieu of
> residential property tax. *I wont name the group who thought this one
> up but they had some kutzpah.
>
> Jim
>
> PS *I can explain the disgruntled male employee who couldnt make sales
> quota. *The two in my area would give Hooters a run for their money.

I gave it a shot too (twice actually not including the numerous tea
gifts people are sure I will love from there)... I have a similar
problem passing up any tea. I think that article was written by a
female, but I have no way of knowing her assets. See something like a
$10 matcha bowl intrigues me too, but I just won't do it for a couple
reasons: The main one is that the employee who sells you that bowl
sans expensive whisk or matcha powder is going to take a hit for it
(I've worked retail, so even though some may think I'm so pompous it
couldn't be further from the truth, and "attachment rate" or whatever
the store calls it when an associate doesn't sell accessories - which
is where the markup is - stats suffer and pressure is poured on.) the
second is that my teaware all has a story or an adventure behind it
which is what makes it special, having something from a place I
despise and know fully well is exploiting both tea and workers doesn't
exactly lend itself to a peacful mood and enjoyment for me.

I've said it before and saying it again, everyone is entitled to
differing opinions/outlooks/etc. some may have no moral issue with
shopping at Teavana... that's fine, my only aim is to inform people
about what may or may not be happening there. I believe that post from
the worker was most likely quite accurate and while not all Teavana's
fault, most is and most is not in the spirit of why we drink tea. Now,
I'm off to brew some of the finest Gyokuro in a gold chalice just to
toss it out on lesser passerby.

- Dominic