Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian
axlq axlq is offline

Default Death to cilantro!

In article >,
Ciccio > wrote:
>On Apr 12, 5:32*pm, (axlq) wrote:
>> That's your mistake. I have met many Indians who don't know what you
>> mean when you say "cilantro." If you ask to leave out the cilantro,
>> they will assume what they put in is fine because they don't use
>> anything called cilantro in their food. *To them, it's called
>> coriander. Cilantro is the Spanish name.

>His mistake??? That is really carrying the PC accommodating foreigners
>bullshit too damn far. People open up a restaurant in an area and

Simmer down. I was being sarcastic, more or less.

Perhaps "mistake" wasn't appropriate, but the word in this context
has an interesting background:

Two weeks ago an Indian friend put on a baby shower for us. (My
function was to turn it into a wine tasting party to get rid of some
cases of wine that are getting a bit old, so I tended bar.) The
party attracted 45 guests, so we used the clubhouse at our condo
complex.

Anyway, she and another Indian guy were up late the night before
cooking, then on party day they took over our kitchen, finished
preparing all the food, and it was a glorious feast. I quail at
the thought of preparing an 8-course buffet for 45 people, but they
pulled it off. Most of it *wasn't* Indian cuisine, but some was,
and some was pre-prepared from a store.

Now, my Mom was there, too. She hates cilantro.

My Mom asked our friends which dishes had cilantro in them, and they
told her "none". They were using coriander in some dishes. My
Mom thought afterward that she was lied to until I explained that
Indians likely don't call it cilantro, and may not have known what
she meant, to which she responded "maybe that was my mistake."

The very next week, with her comment in mind, I posted the above
reply.

-A