Dave Bugg

Default bones in boston butt

Jeneen Sommers wrote:

> I'm planning on having them on the K tomorrow for BBQ
> on Saturday afternoon. My question is, should I remove
> the bones? Leave them on and cook the pork 1.5 hours per
> pound still (they're 11-12 pounds each, with the bone)?
> Leave them on and cook the pork 1.5 hours per pound of
> meat, figuring the bones are a couple of pounds?
> Would the bones make the end result more flavorful?

I prefer to have them with the bone in. Cook according to gross weight. The
bone is a good clue to the doneness of the pork, as it pulls out of the meat
easily when the pork reaches the pullable stage. IMO, it can make the 'Qing
go a bit quicker due to the bone acting as a heat sink, but 1.5 to 2.0 hours
per pound is still a good rough guage.
Dave