Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Quentin Grady Quentin Grady is offline

Default A tale of Tesco and Ice-Cream

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 09:11:14 +1100, Alan S
> wrote:

>Buy good old-fashioned normal fat normal carbs unadulterated
>ice-cream and eat a little less of it. Tastes better too.
>

>Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

Hi Alan,

The better the quality the lower the GI.
40 is a reasonable estimate.

Locally we can get excellent icecream with lots of real fruit eg
blueberries, boysenberries, strawberries, tamarillos. It is one way
to get one's polyphenols. Amongst other benefits polyphenols will
recycle Vit C and Vit E.

Because it satisfies one feels like eating less. Poor quality often
drives one to eat more in the vain hope of gaining satisfaction.
Even two tablespoons is enough to satisfy.

OK, the cream is a source of saturated fat. There is no denying that.
IMHO whenever you tweak the tail by eating something that perhaps you
shouldn't you need to be certain you are gaining some distinct benefit
and for the intake to be self regulating. Some polyphenols reduce the
risk of CHD so perhaps it balances out. Those in walnuts do.

Best wishes,
--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, >#,#< [