Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bobo Bonobo® Bobo Bonobo® is offline

Default Safeway "Rancher's Reserve"

On Apr 13, 9:16*pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in ...
>

> > "Paul & Robin Barrett" > wrote in message
> ommunications...
> >> Anyone else figure out that this much touted, supposedly superior,
> >> "grade" of beef has been quietly downgraded from USDA Choice to USDA
> >> Select, at least for some cuts? *I found out when I bought a whole rib
> >> roast which was still in the cryovac wrap from the packing house and was
> >> identified as Select. *Never would have known had they cut it up and put
> >> it in the display case.

> > My Vons sells the stuff, too. *It is crap. *Some of the worst beef I have
> > ever eaten. *Always has been, too. *When you have to put a ton of
> > tenderizer on a NY strip steak you know it is bad.

> I just cooked a small beef roast this weekend that was a RR from Safeway,
> which I'd froze. Sold dirt cheap and I was wondering why back then (a month
> ago). *But it was tender and tasty, so I have no beefs with them. *Top round
> and Bottom Round both for 1.99/pound.

Roasted to MR and sliced super thinly, I don't see what the difference
would be.

--Bryan
The album, "School of the Americas" is now available online.
Go to: http://www.thebonobos.com/
Click on the album cover to purchase. This is a fold out case with a
lyrics booklet for only $9.99. That's right folks, only $9.99.