Posted to rec.food.cooking
Paul M. Cook Paul M. Cook is offline

Default REQUEST: Clay Pot Chicken

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "Paul M. Cook" wrote
>
>>> Steaming defeats the whole purpose of the clay pot. Clay pot
>>> [dishes] are meant to be baked or used on a stovetop (with a
>>> diffuser).
>>>

>> Bullhit. The whole reason they have a steam chimney in the center is
>> because it is meant for STEAMING. Have you ever even seen one? I don't
>> think you have. Googe Yunnan pot.

> Actually Paul, I'm interested in learning more about them. I googled that
> image and it was an interesting device. Looks like you fill the core with
> water?

No, the core has an opening in the center which allows the steam to enter
the pot. You place it over a pot of boiling water. Remember that in China
they did not use ovens so they developed other cooking methods and vessels.
The Yunnan pot is a dedicated and rather ingenious steaming device.

> I have only vague recollections of soaking them in water or something
> before use (things others have mentioned).

That is not what is meant by clay pot cooking. In Chinese cuisine it refers
to a cooking method common to the Yunnan province hence the other term
Yunnan pot cooking.

It is a wonderful way to prepare chicken, beef or pork and makes for an
unexpectedly good result. And it could not be easier to do. I am ordering
a new yunnan pot after this convo made me miss the one my kitty destroyed
during her rather tumultuous kittenhood.

Paul