Old 05-04-2009, 07:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Paul E. Lehmann[_7_] Paul E. Lehmann[_7_] is offline

Default Elderberry Goo Residue Removel Help

Pavel314 wrote:

On Mar 11, 12:10*am, "Mike" wrote:
"jmreiter" wrote in message

"jmreiter" wrote in message news:...
There is a product called 'Goo Gone', and it works wonders on the
"white, latex-based glue-from-he**" used to affix wine labels. It
might help your situation. It's a citrus based cleanser. Look for it
at your local 'big-box' home improvement center or check your local
grocery store. I've never made elderberry wine, so I can't say that
I've experience. But also understand that the Goo-Gone also has
petroleum-based products in it, so you will also have to use a plain
detergent afterwards. Yuk. Joanne

"Mike" wrote in

"Andie Z" wrote in message
. ..
We have been making elderberry wine for years. *This year we made
another 12 gallons. *The big problem we have is cleaning up. *During
and after primary fermentation we end up with a non-soluble goo. *We
still haven't discovered a way to wash it off our stirrer, our
primary, or anything else. * Does anyone have a sure fire way of
getting it off stuff. *My 90 year old mother is the wine master and
she has it on her finger nails.

Help!

Andie Z

There is a really simple and magical something that does it which I
can't remember at the moment. This question comes up every now and
then so stay tuned for a solution from a guru for your goo.

Mike

I think the solution was to use vegetable or olive oil. From memory, the
goo is soluble in the oil. The combination is then able to be cleaned off
with ordinary dish detergent... or that's what my pickled memory is
telling me.

Mike- Hide quoted text -

I've made elderberry wine for years also. It seems that when I boil
the berries, I get more goo but get very little with raw berries. I
don't bother boiling anymore.

Paul

There is an article in the April-May 2009 issue of "Winemaker" magazine
which discusses Elderberry wine and the way to remove it

"... it is easily cut with vetgetable oil and cleanly wiped from the
primary. The oil is then washed away with a liquid soap containing a
degreaser. Rinse well and tghen sanitize with sulfite solution."