Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh[_5_] Pete Romfh[_5_] is offline

Default Lime stuff

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 20:03:12 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>So I bought a bag of Lay's Limon potato chips. They just looked appealing
>to me. I don't normally like potato chips. But I freakin' LOVE these
>things! The lime taste is sooo strong and good. But I realize that potato
>chips aren't very good for me to be eating. Not often anyway.
>
>Then I got to remembering the Wine Nuts that I bought a few years ago. They
>were very good with a nice lime flavor too! But they were expensive and
>contained sugar. I did try to re-create this on my own but couldn't get the
>good strong flavor that they did.
>
>So I got to thinking... Is there a way to get a strong lime flavor into
>peanuts? I would prefer them not to have a sweet flavor. Just salty. I
>have seen plenty of recipes (and product for sale) for chili lime peanuts.
>I don't think I would like these. I like chili just fine. But I don't
>think I would like it on nuts. I generally don't like foods that are
>flavored like other things. Why I like the lime...I just don't know.
>
>Thanks!

Take a look in a liquor store for a product called "Twang" or similar.
It's a mixture of "sour salt" (citric acid) and salt. I've seen it in
packets near the register of several stores here in Texas.

If you have a Hispanic market nearby look for a similar product in
small, round, cardboard packages. A common brand is Lucas. They have
everything from Baby Lucas (citric acid and salt) to Super Lucas with
very hot chile, citric acid, and salt. These products taste good on
fruit, cheese, and numerous other foods. For your purpose the Baby
Lucas version sounds like the best bet. . Add a bit of lime zest to
the mixture to gain the essential oils from the lime. Let that sit for
a few days to spread the oils throughout the mixture then try it on
nuts or chips.

You can also find sour salt in the home canning section of some
stores.

------
Pete Romfh, telecom geek and amateur gourmet.
Houston, TX, USA