Posted to alt.food.diabetic
MaryL MaryL is offline

Default Need suggestions for healthy food bars for travel

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> . ..
>>I am planning a trip to Greece and Turkey, primarily Greece with a one-day
>>stop in Turkey. The food should be ideal once I get there (Mediterranean
>>diet). However, I am concerned about the airplane trip and also about
>>travel on the bus. Can anyone recommend a low-carb (and hopefully tasty)
>>food bar?--the name and also where I could order it. I checked with our
>>health food store, and even they do not have anything suitable. Every bar
>>they have is high carb and includes items like cane syrup and honey. Even
>>their dried fruit has cane syrup. I have not eaten anything like that for
>>5 years, and I would like to find some emergency supplies to take with me.
>>There are some special diets available on the airplane, such as vegetarian
>>or diabetic, but each of them presents some difficulties. Many places
>>serve inappropriate carbs (in my opinion) on a diabetic diet, and I am
>>also allergic to fish. Vegetarian diets often include a lot of bread. I
>>may take some peanut butter sandwiches with Ezekiel bread (a flourless
>>bread made from sprouted grains), carrots, and apples on the plane; but I
>>would also like something to have in the hotels once I arrive. I will not
>>be able to take those items into the country with me.

> I don't know what you consider low carb so what I'm going to suggest might
> not work. I like the GoRaw pumpkin seed bars. They are sweetened with
> something. Agave? Dates? I can't remember. Don't have any in front of
> me at the moment. Each bar has 24 grams of carb and is filling enough to
> make a meal.
>
> I can see why you couldn't take carrots and apples unless perhaps they
> were dried, but I'm not sure about the peanut butter. I don't even know
> how that would be classified. I've heard stories recently of people
> getting food taken from them because somebody at the airport considered it
> to be a liquid. I believe peanut butter was on this list and also canned
> tuna.
>
> Could you take plain nuts and seeds? Beef jerky or other preserved meats?
> I order little packets from minimus.biz for my daughter. I think they are
> Pepperoni and Salami.

Thanks for the suggestions, Julie. My reference to low carbe really was a
little vague, and also inaccurate. I try to avoid all the "white stuff"
(flour, potatoes, refined sugar, etc.), but I eat lots of fresh fruit,
veggies, etc. So the GoRaw pumpkin seed bars sounds interesting. I'll go
online and see if I can find a source for them. Everything I have seen so
far has cane syrup and/or honey for sweetening. I would rather have just
the fruit as flavoring. I do plan to take quite a few nuts, and I am going
to put a small jar of peanut butter in my checked luggage. I think the
problem with liquids or "soft" products like peanut butter is limited on
carryon luggage, but I'm going to look into that. I think preserved meats
may be on the "unacceptable" list when entering another country, but I have
to verify all that. Fortunately, Greece should be a great place to buy the
type of food I want once I get there, so I'm primarily thinking about the
long airplane ride both ways, a lot of travel by bus, and supplies if we
don't stop frequently enough for the way I eat. I learned a long time ago
that I should have a small snack mid-morning and mid-afternoon to keep my
sugar stable.

MaryL